Solar Watch Shield Company

When I rejoined the hobby, the Adeptus Custodes book was almost out. Custodes had always interested me. They are to a space marine, what a space marine is to a guardsman. I attempted to convert my own in the past, from space marines and high elf parts. I never finished that project, but with the new Custodes, I knew I wanted to start an army.

Planning


Unlike my Eldar Yme-Loc army, mentioned in my post here, I did not have any Custodes models. I loved the new jetbikes and wardens. I planned out a small 1500pt force. With Custodes each model has a high points value, so once you create a battalion, you don't have many points left.
My list consists of a shield captain on foot, a shield captain on jetbike, 3 squads of 3 Custodes, a Vexilus, a squad of 5 jetbikes and a squad of 3 wardens.



I'd ordered my models, so next, I decided on my colour scheme. There is currently three main colour scheme for Custodes. The main scheme is classic gold. Shadowkeepers, who guard the prisons of the imperial palace, is primarily in black. Then lastly the Solar Watch, who guard the sol system, are white. There are other schemes, though they only change the cloth colours of the Custodes. I wanted my army to be different but stick to one of these schemes.

The classic gold has been done everywhere. While I like the scheme on the infantry, I don't like it on the vehicles. The Shadowkeeper scheme is extremely popular and I was tempted by it. Especially after seeing other peoples models, but it doesn't signify the emperor's champions to me. So I decided to go with the Solar Watch. Reading the background for the Solar Watch cemented my decision. They are the closest Shield Host to function as an army, rather than bodyguards. They have access to large numbers of vehicles, which I knew I would want to add to my list eventually.

Luckily the citadel colour app has the scheme for the Solar Watch. I don't believe it is 100% accurate to the example model they show, but following the instructions, I'm happy with the result.

For the bases, I wanted to go for a highlands theme. As if the Custodes were fighting in a mountainous region on a shrine world. To achieve this effect I used cork, sand, flock and grass flocks. I wanted the Custodes to be towering over other models, more than they already do, So I use two layers of cork rather than one.

Starting Off


I build my test model and constructed the base. Then painted it according to the citadel colour app Solar Watch scheme.




This scheme was not quick to paint. I was slow, especially the white. It took multiple thin layers to get the shade I wanted. The gold was lighter than I wanted, so I toned that back in later models. I considered switching to one of the other themes, as they seem far easier to paint. However, once I had my finished model, I knew the Solar Watch was the Shield Host for me.

I planned each of my Custodes squads to have two spears and one shield with a blade. Yet, I do not like the Custodes shields. To me, they are far to square when compared to the Custodes themselves. So I looked for alternatives. Ideally, I wanted a large plain shield that I could paint red. Going through my bits box I couldn't find anything suitable. This was mainly due to the size of the Custodes, most shields were too small. Looking at the Age of Sigmar range then Stormcast looked a good size. So I ordered a Stormcast upgrade pack. The shields were a perfect fit and even had iconography that fit with the Solar Watch.

With the shield decided I was able to complete my first full squad.



Distractions


I'll admit I got distracted. After finishing the first squad of Custodes, the new assassin rules were released. I had a full execution force and decided to paint them up. I wanted to use them with this new Custodes army, so I planned to give them bases to match. The assassin models come with scenic bases, set in a city fight environment. They look cool but were not appropriate for my shrine world highlands vision. So I set about converting them. It required some pinning, but I like how the models turned out. Being black these were straightforward to paint. I followed the guide in White Dwarf for the most part. I know I'm missing the Eversor assassin. I have build him, but haven't painted him yet.




Back to Custodes


I returned to the Custodes. My first squad had all been in standing poses, so I decided to make this squad use the running legs. I experimented with the basing materials for the new squad, as I felt they could be better. I was a laborious effort painting these, but the satisfaction of seeing them done was worth it.




Current situation


Currently, I'm painting the wardens. They are some of my favourite models in the range. I've given them all the axes, as not only are they better from a gameplay perspective, but they look awesome.

Future Plans


I plan to paint the Vexilus and a Shield Captain next. Both will be made using the warden kit and will have axes. I have been messy with the Custodes in parts. I plan to take my time with these two.

After that, I'll finish the last Custodes squad before starting on the bikes. That should give me 1500pts.

In the far future, I want to get some vehicles into the list. Maybe a land raider for the wardens. Possible a vehicle from Forgeworld. I'd like to expand the force to the size of a Shield company, which is between 30 and 40 Custodes.

I hope you've enjoyed reading about my Solar Watch project. I plan to provide updates as the force progresses. If you have any comments, questions or criticisms about the army, I'm happy to hear. I'm always looking to improve.

Comments