July Update

I've had less time than I would've liked recently on my projects. Most of this was life getting in the way. I'm probably one of the last people in the world to finish Red Dead Redemption. My airbrush also got clogged when I wanted to use it, so I spent time cleaning it thoroughly.


Projects

Yme-Loc Eldar Wraithguard Army


Yme-Loc Eldar WraithKnight with Wraithlord and farseer

I've been busy on this project, completing my first Wraithknight. The build was extensive. There are a few places I wish I'd filed more, which would have made the joins smoother. I did debate about whether to magnetise it or not. The examples of magnetisation I'd seen for the Wraithknight made the model look worse. Often the arms were hanging by the side making the model look static and boring. Despite this, I decided to try.

Yme-Loc Eldar WraithKnight left arm magnet

Yme-Loc Eldar WraithKnight left arm

On the first arm socket, I tried to use multiple small magnets. I'd used this method on other models previously. It did not work well. In the end, I had to add a pin to get the arm to sit correctly. I used a rotary tool to make space for the magnets. For the second arm, I used a single big magnet. This worked much better. The magnet did support it in a raised position, but I posed the left arm downwards.

Yme-Loc Eldar WraithKnight right arm magnet

Yme-Loc Eldar WraithKnight right arm

I did not attach the head or armour plates to the model. I sprayed these parts separately with my airbrush using Troll Slayer orange. Apart from the pots they come in, I like the citadel air range. It sprays without any thinning at low pressure and the coverage is good.

I've also added an imperial guard dozer blade to the base. Once the base is finished using the mud effect, it should look likes it's sunk into the mud.

Yme-Loc Eldar WraithKnight base view


Painting the model has been a big effort. I was unrealistic in thinking it would be as quick as the Wraithlord. Of course, it took much longer, it is much larger. I started with the grey, following my scheme from before. The issue with painting this model has been the size. I do have an XL painting handle, which the model does fit, but I found it clumsy to use. I stuck with grabbing the base with one hand.

The orange went on easily. I had some trouble with the black. Abbadon black paint is a weird consistency compared to the other base paints or chaos black. It takes a few coats to go on and even then the base colour still comes through.

Yme-Loc Eldar WraithKnight front view

Yme-Loc Eldar WraithKnight back view


I finished by painting the spirit stone on the chest. For the rest of my army, I have used the spirit stone paints. I've painted spirit stones before using normal paints on a Dark Eldar army, but I was interested in this new suggested technique by Games Workshop. I have not been impressed with the spirit stone paints. I gave the paints a chance, but going forward I plan to repaint all the gems using the traditional technique. Maybe I'm not doing the technique correctly, but the spirit stone paints look bad to me. They don't add anything to the model.

Once the painting was done, I moved onto the base. I already had the dozer blade glued down, but I decided to reposition it. I painted yellow and black stripes on the dozer blade. Originally I tried to do this using tape to make the lines straight. This didn't work well for me, so I did it freehand in the end. It's not the best, but it's good enough.

I used mud effect to base the model and highlighted that with Tyrant skull paint. I paint special attention to the dozer blade, making sure that the blade looks like it's sunk into the mud. I also added mud effect to the blade itself, as it would have been pushing mud until it was destroyed. Finally, I added a few extra details to the base. A couple of skulls and a tank track.

The next models for this army will be a squad of Ghostblades. This is so I can create a vanguard detachment using my two Wraithguard squads.



When I do get round to the next Wraithknight I plan to experiment more with the pose. I don't plan to magnetise that one, as I want a dynamic pose. Though I still need to think about the specifics.

You can read the start of this project here.

Solar Watch Adeptus Custodes Shield Company

I've built and sprayed the wardens. Currently in the process of painting them. I've only painted one so far. I'm enjoying to paint the red cloth on them. I'm much happier with the bases on these than the previous ones. They look more natural to me, though I'll only truly know once they are finished.

Solar watch Adeptus Custodes wardens work in Progress


I've started to paint them one by one as well. I painted the previous ones in batches of three, but I find painting all the white in batches exhausting. So I've decided to paint them individually now. It might take longer but hopefully, I'll get a better result.

You can read the start of this project here.

At some point, I should finish the Eversor assassin too...

Other projects

I've also been looking at other projects. I've been tempted to get into Adeptus Titanicus after they released more of the imperial knight models. While I like the knights, I'm not a fan of the titan models. Plus I already have a huge backlog of models to build and paint. It has motivated me to start my Imperial Knights soon. I have the two from the Renagade box. I plan to paint them to go with my Solar Watch. I haven't decided on a colour scheme yet. I want it to look good with the Solar Watch, but not too similar. I'm open to any ideas.

Continuing with the Solar Watch. I would like to make a loyal 32 for them that narratively makes sense. Maybe using Necromunda models.

Warcry has also been released. I like the idea of Warcry. I remember playing an amazing Chaos Warband campaign with my friends when I was younger. But I don't like the models in the starter set. The crow Warband looks interesting. Any of the warbands would make great cultists with a little conversion. However, I'm going to avoid them for now.

Next month I'd like to finish the Adeptus Custodes Wardens and build an Imperial Knight.

Comments