Texture Paint Alternatives

I only returned to Warhammer a year ago, after a gap of 5 years. There have been lots of new products I’d never seen before. Many of which change the hobby, one of these being texture paints.

Texture paints are fantastic. When I started collecting Warhammer in the early 2000s, I had no idea how to base models. I remember using shavings from a pencil on the bases of my first models. Then I moved onto using sand and flock, which produced much better results. I also experimented with other materials, such as slate and cork. Then I left the hobby.

When I returned, texture paints were being pushed by games workshop as the new basing solution. So I picked up Armageddon Dunes, along with the first strike starter set. Using texture paint was a great experience. It was faster than the traditional method and produced a more natural result.

Three space marines based using armageddon dunes


While texture paints are fantastic, they have a downside. The downside is the price. For a 24ml bottle of texture paint, you will pay around £5.

After the first strike set, I decided to build a Wraithguard army. I already had the models, having bought a Wraithguard battle force before I left the hobby. I decided to go for a muddy battlefield and picked up a pot of Stirland Battlemire. I only applied a thin layer of the texture paint, but that pot only covered 10 Wraithguard bases and a Spiritseer.

Based using Stirland Battlemire


I had 25 Wraithguard, 4 Wraithlords, 3 Wraithknight left to base. Say a Wraithlord base is equivalent to 3 Wraithguard bases. A Wraithknight base is equivalent to 3 Wraithlord bases. That leaves me 64 Wraithguard base equivalents to paint. I would need 7 pots of texture paint to cover these bases. That would cost £35.

At this point, I decided to look for an alternative. Which was straightforward as Vallejo do a set of weathering effects that are similar to texture paints. Modellers use these effects primarily for tanks and dioramas. I purchased a 200ml tub for £12. That is less than a third the price of the Citadel texture paint. You can pick up some here, Vallejo Weathering Effects 200ml - Russian Thick Mud, I earn from qualifying purchases.



But I had already based 11 models with texture paints. I could have re-based them. Instead, I choose to match the existing bases using the alternatives. To match the texture paints, I'd need to reproduce two qualities, the colour and the texture.

The Vallejo weathering effects have several different types of mud available. I choose the one described as the middle shade, Brown Thick Mud. When it arrived, I was impressed with it. It was texture paint at a fraction of the cost. Unfortunately, it was neither a colour match or a texture match for the Stirland Battlemire.

The texture was easy to fix. I mixed a small amount of sand and Brown Thick Mud in a pot. I had Stirland Battlemire texture, much quicker than I expected. If you plan to try making your own, use a smaller amount of sand than you think you need. You'll be surprised how little you need. You can always add more.



Then onto fixing the colour, I first tried to use paint. I couldn't seem to match the colour easily. So I order a new type of Vallejo mud, Russian Thick Mud. This was darker than the Brown Thick Mud and was almost a perfect colour match for Stirland Battlemire. There is a slight difference, but I am happy with the result.


Based using Russian Thick Mud

Wraithguard based using Stirland Battlemire
Wraithlord based using Russian Thick Mud


Even with my mistake in buying two pots of weathering effect, it was cheaper than seven pots of Stirland Battlemire that I'd need. The Brown Thick Mud won't go to waste as I'll use it on other projects.

If you like texture paints, but can't stomach the price, buy Vallejo weathering effects. It's not only mud, but they also do many others that match most of the Citadel's line. I'm sure you'll be able to find a pot to base your army at an affordable price. I can't recommend them enough.

If you need to match the texture add sand. If you need to match Stirland Battlemire's colour, Russian Thick Mud is remarkably close. If you want to buy either, you can below and I earn from qualifying purchases.


Hopefully, this has helped you with your next basing project.

Comments